I took delivery of a shiny HP LaserJet wireless printer recently. Setting it up on the office network was fairly easy once I’d connected it via a cable (and then disconnected it afterwards) – except it kept broadcasting an open wireless network (SSID) which anyone could use.
That’s not awesome, but on HP’s Support Forum, I found these instructions from a user who worked out how to disable the network:
- Make sure you do not have a USB cable attached to your
- Go to the web configuration portal for the printer
- Go to the Networking tab> Wi-Fi Direct Setup
- Set WiFi Direct to "On"
- Set Connection Method to "Advanced"
- Check the box "Do not broadcast the Wi-Fi Direct name"
- Click "Apply"
- Restart the printer
- Verify you no longer see the SSID
- Go back to the Wi-Fi Direct Setup and set the WiFi Direct setting to "off"